Happee National Father's Day! :)

By Lasmarya Hadi Purwanto - November 15, 2015

Note: This is a late post. It is supposed to be posted by 12th November 2015. 


Well, last Thursday was Indonesian's father's day. I didn't know about it, and then I saw lots of celebrities and also instagram friends posted about their fathers in the social medias, and I was like, "Didn't we just have our father's day? Why do we have another father's day in the same year?" Then, I googled it, and found out that the international father's day is on the third Sunday in June, while 
our national father's day is in 12th November. 

Truthfully, I was about to let it pass by, without doing anything, and not even congratulating my dad, "Happee Father's Day!" 

But then, after long thought, we never know what future may hold for us. I never know I was gonna get sick, we never know what might happen to us tomorrow, or there might be no more tomorrow, we would never know. (Not that I'm wishing for bad things to happen, no!) and I realized that I didn't want to have any regrets. If I can do it now, then I should. 

So, when my brother and I were on the way home from work, I came up with a crazy idea, since I didn't have time to prepare for cake or a gift, and my daddy doesn't really like sweets, I thought of asking him to take a selfie with me, with a duck face! Haha

You might think that, "What's so hard about that? I can ask my daddy to do it anytime." But not for me. Daddy, for me, is a very strict guy. Whatever he said will become law for us. Truthfully, there are times, when my brothers and I were very afraid of him. We're afraid that we wouldn't be able to reach his expectations, or that he'll find our mistakes and we'd be scolded really hard. During those times, we would directly run to our bedrooms whenever he came home. We never really talked much to him.

When we're young, when most of our classmates had mobile phones (at that time, mobile phones were luxurious items), we never dared to ask him to buy ones for us. He had ever said to us, "If you want something, then you should save up yourself." And indeed, until now, he has never bought any luxurious items for us, including mobile phones. 

Therefore, he won't pose a duck face.

But, with times, I grew up to understand that he's doing all of these for us. He doesn't want us to be spoiled kids, he wants us to independent, he wants us to be better humans. Maybe he knows the risk, that by doing so, he won't be able to get close to his kids. But as a daughter, I, too, was at fault.

I used to keep thinking about the bad times I spent with him, which made me choose to be far apart from him. I never really thought about the good times; the times when I bragged around telling people that "I'm daddy's little girl!, the times when he would carry me on his back, when my tiny feet were too tired to walk, the times when he would let me sit on his shoulder, since I was too short to watch a show on stage, the times when every weekend, when he was supposed to have a rest after full week working, he took us to malls and different restaurants to eat, the times when he and mom let me slept with them when I couldn't sleep, until the times when he suddenly turned up at my graduation and wouldn't stop telling others that,"That's my girl!" :)

Those memories built up my courage to come to him and ask him to take a picture with me. I have nothing to fear. Again, I don't want to have any regret. Surprisingly, when I proposed the idea to him, he laughed and agreed. :D



Maybe because I was quite sick weeks ago, that he purposely gave in to me. Or maybe, I just never know that all this time, my dad, indeed, has this side of him. :) 

Dear daddy, we've gone through bad times and good times, with laughter and also tears. 
I might not be the best daughter in the world, but you'll always be my only one daddy. 
Happee Father's Day! :D:D

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This was so cute! Happy fathers day to your dad! :)
    xx
    Kenzie
    Behindhazeleyes06.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete