Interstellar *.*

By Lasmarya Hadi Purwanto - November 24, 2014

Hellooo!
Have you watched Interstellar?
If yes, what do you think about it? If no, why not?

I watched it several days ago and truth to be told, at first I wasn't really interested in it. The posters are all showing an astronaut standing on a moon or whatever planet it is. So, an 85% percent NO! 
It all started when my brother watched it first and he told me this : "You know, only smart people will be able to watch and understand it, although yeah, the movie was nice, but really, only SMART people will understand." So I simply answered him: "So do you understand?" He answered:"I understand, but it needs a lot of thinking." At that moment, I felt CHALLENGED. If he can understand it, why can't I? *devil* He's not some genius or what, I mean, at least our knowledge is still in the same level. I'm sure I'll be able to understand it, or won't I? I will, right? I started to doubt myself. Haha. These thoughts kept lingering in my mind for the next several days. Until a friend of mine, Daniel, who is a very BIG fan of Christopher Nolan's work (note: VERY BIG! He watched almost all of his movies! And it literally means ALL!) told me that he enjoyed the movie very much. It was ingenious, according to him. It wasn't necessary for me to ask him whether he understands it or not because i know clearly that he does. (He's a smart ass! note: SUPER SMART, he's like a walking encyclopedia!) He said that if I know what a wormhole, a black hole, dimension etc mean, then I will find the movie interesting. So again, I was CHALLENGED!!!


It tells the story of a group of scientists/astronauts on their way to look for a new planet in the other galaxy for humans to live as earth is deteriorating. They went through wormhole, black hole, time relativity,and even headed to 5D dimension. There are tragedy, drama, science, imagination all packed into one. I should say that this is another masterpiece of Christopher Nolan. Until now, I'm still wondering his way of thinking. How could he be so genious??? He could develop a very simple story into a super complicated maze. After Inception, and now this. 
This three-hour movie is indeed very heavy, it needs a lot of deep thinking, it felt like I had to keep thinking so that I could keep up with the pace of the plot. When I stepped out from the cinema, my head felt so hot, haha, it had worked so hard. We (My brother, my colleague, Daniel and I) kept discussing about the movie, about why it happened that way, or this way. Through the long discussion, I realized that there's still some small parts that I don't understand completely. Ah, how i wish i was a little smarter. Haha. 

If you're ready to think hard, then this will be a very good movie for you. If you're looking for a happy, fresh and light movie, this movie is a big no no!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments