[Travelogue] Sydney : Day 3 | Circular Quay, Sydney Opera House, Royal Botanical Garden and The Calyx | sillyandordinarygirl

By Lasmarya Hadi Purwanto - September 24, 2021

12th June 2018
I went back to Circular Quay and Sydney Opera House the next morning, just because I couldn't fully enjoy it the night before XD. There was much less crowd, and I was really happy I got to take my time wandering around without having to elbow anyone else to pass through. 
I personally think Circular Quay is so strategically located that you can easily spot Sydney's two main landmarks in one frame as soon as you get off the train.  
Sydney Opera House | sillyandordinarygirl
Sydney Opera House (taken from Circular Quay station)
Sydney Harbour Bridge | sillyandordinarygirl
Sydney Harbour Bridge (taken from Circular Quay station)
Sydney's Museum of Contemporary Art (also taken from Circular Quay station)
And when the clouds started to steer away, leaving behind this almost-clear-blue sky ❤❤❤
I was actually googling about The Sydney Opera House and I stumbled upon a lot of interesting facts about this famous landmark. And you know what, the more that I read, the more intrigued I was. I started reading from the history of the Bennelong Point, on which the building stands now, to the construction process, that took longer time and cost more than initially expected, and lastly, to the architect Jørn Utzon from Denmark, whose "ahead-of-time" design won the competition but sadly, he had to leave Australia in the middle of the construction and till his death, never got a chance to come back to Sydney and saw the end result. (I was so curious about the Danish architect himself that I searched about his other works too XD)
If you are as interested as I was, you can read this list of fun facts about Sydney Opera House: 
Honestly, I was so immersed when I read the history, which was written in details chapter per chapter in https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/our-story/sydney-opera-house-history.html. Don't worry, if you prefer a more visual version with photos, videos and audios, you can also click the button on the pictures that looks like a circle and a book in it, with the phrase "Google Cultural Institute" written under it. 


Another reason why I think Sydney Opera House is so strategically located is because it is just right next to the Royal Botanic Garden. Well, if you want to visit several Sydney's most famous landmarks all in one day, or  even in several hours, then you should go to Circular Quay and everything else will be within walking distance. As I mentioned above, there's the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Sydney Opera House, the Royal Botanic Garden (which if you walk all through the other end, you'll get to Art Gallery of New South Wales, that I visited on the first day), the Rocks, and a lil bit further but still reachable by foot, Darling Harbour, and many others. And have I told you that you can also ride a ferry from Circular Quay to reach the other side of the city where you can find Luna Park, and Taronga Zoo? 
In brief, if you ever visit Sydney as a tourist and you don't know where to start, Circular Quay it is! 
Have I told you how much I love Melbourne and Sydney's blue skies? ❤.❤
(Warning: You'll probably find me re-expressing my love for the blue shades again and again in many further posts in the series, don't say I didn't warn you! XD) 
*thinking to myself : Considering how much I love the colour blue, should I just change the name of my blog into something with "blue" in it? XXD 
Is this clear blue sky a very common thing in the whole Australia? 
Situated right in the middle of Sydney's Royal Botanic Garden, the Calyx is this artistic building mainly used as floral display but also as a cafe and an event space.
Back on the road... exploring more of the Royal Botanic Garden. 
Spotted Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge from another side of the garden..
A sandstone hand-carved into the shape of a bench  by convicts in 1810 for Elizabeth Macquaire,  the wife of Major-General Lachlan Macquarie, the Governor of New South Wales then. The chair is located right at the tip of the peninsula (Mrs. Macquaire's Point) and it is said to be one of the best spot to view the sights of Sydney Harbour. The chair was specially commisioned by the Governor for his wife as she loved to visit the area. It is stated in the Wikipedia: "Folklore has it that she used to sit on the rock and watch for ships from Great Britain sailing into the harbour. She was known to visit the area and sit enjoying the panoramic views of the harbour."

Come walk with me along the way back to Sydney Opera House and Circular Quay :D
I think it is really nice to live in a city with a big-scale garden like this. It is very well maintained, and it is just beautiful. When the sun is out with the clear blue sky, you can lay a blanket on the grass and have a picnic with your family, or maybe your friends, or maybe just alone. As far as I could see, there was barely any trash on the grass, and I think, I would not mind at all to lie on the ground XD. It is also nice to have a place to go and maybe just wander around when you need to clear your mind and when you have too much to think about, to breathe some fresh air, or to do some sport with awesome running track and great view.  Another reason to love Sydney, 'ait? Haha 

The downside of travelling alone: not having anyone to take picture of you XD 
I am an introvert person, and I am super shy, so asking for strangers' help was a huge thing for me. I had to gather up some courage before I finally dared myself to ask, (I was quite desperate that I even started browsing for tripod on sale around the area XD). But thanks to whoever you were, thank you for saying yes and for taking this picture of me despite the troublesome setting of the camera (。ŏ_ŏ), sorry if I took your time, and I'm so thankful too that you got me some good ones that I can proudly post. <3

I hope you enjoy walking with me around the area. Isn't it beautiful? ❤❤❤

So, I'll see you again?

xoxo
sillyandordinarygirl

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments