The Week of Farewells

By Lasmarya Hadi Purwanto - March 29, 2015

This week has been bombarded with lots of mourning news.
Right at the beginning of the week, which was on Monday, 23rd March 2015, Lee Kuan Yew, the father of Singapore, Frans Tumbuan (Indonesian senior actor), and a close aunt passed away. What shocked me the most was the latest, she was a very close friend of my parents, and she was so friendly, humble, and caring that I like her so much. Her husband and she used to visit us almost every weekend, so I saw her quite often. And she was very nice to us. Right on that day when I just arrived home, I found out that the atmosphere was quite gloomy when her husband sat in our living room with a worried face and he was talking to my mom. It's weird, because he never came alone, he's always together with his wife. Not so long after that, I was asked whether I could make him a LINE account because he needed to make a free call to his wife's friend in Japan. Seeing that the situation was quite urgent, I told him to use my line account, bcoz it would take time to make a new one, and right at that time, I found out that his wife was taken to a hospital there, because of a heart attack during her trip in Japan. Just several minutes later, came the bad news. It was so shocking. She was still healthy the last time I saw her, which is at the beginning of March. How could this happen? Life is really unpredictable. The sad thing was, her family couldn't have any chance to see her for the last time, because she had to be cremated in order to be taken home to Indonesia. :(

In the next two days, a successful and famous comedian/entertainer in Indonesia, Olga Syahputra, was also reported to have passed away in a hospital in Singapore. He died of meningitis, the disease he had been struggling with for the last one year.

Today, I got another grieving news. My dear pet, Bonnie, the Chihuahua that was mentioned in the previous post, passed away because of the difficulty in delivering the babies. We first thought that it would be due in another two weeks, but she showed some kinds of signs that she was going to give birth yesterday night. But even until this morning, the babies hadn't come out yet. She was looking fine when we left this morning for Chengbeng, or Qingming (Tomb Sweeping Day/Chinese Memorial Day/Ancestors Day), so we thought maybe it wasn't the time for the delivery yet. When we got home at 2 pm, she looked so weak, and she was covered with greenish liquid over the bottom part of the body. There's something wrong. So we made some calls to look for available vet and found one near our house. We rushed there, and the vet directly started the surgery. The babies couldn't be saved, in fact they had died inside the womb, it might be because she didn't have enough strength to push them out due to her small size. So the vets took the babies out, cleaned the womb and saved her. We were allowed to take her home, were given prescription and advice for her recovery. So we took her home with some hopes in our heart. She had started to move a bit after the effect of the anesthetic eased but around one hour after we arrived home, she suddenly stopped breathing. T.T
We are sad. But I have to let her go. She deserves a better life, and she's going to a better home now. Maybe our fate with her has ended, but we all believe that she will be reborn with a happier life, with a longer life span, in a better place.
Thank you Bonnie for giving us happiness, for giving us big smiles in our faces with your cuteness, and for being with us. We love you and we'll miss you. Bye and live well in your next life. ='(

Overall, this week has been hard. I don't wish to have another week like this in my whole life, but I realized that life is just so unpredictable, we can never know what might happen tomorrow, the next few hours, or even the next few minutes. I promise myself that I'll cherish each one of the people in my life to the greatest length, because I don't want to regret it later. So, if you're reading this, I hope you'll learn something and start to cherish the ones around you too, don't ever take them for granted.
Life is about giving and giving. Anyway, hope this post helps. See you again.      

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments